I work in the broad field of Robotics, and I am specifically interested in developing algorithms that will allow a robot to naturally interact with/assist us human beings in order to accomplish complicated and tedious tasks. Therefore, my long term research goal, in general, is to develop sensing and control strategies that facilitates seamless and adaptive interaction between humans and robots, and apply the said strategies to current real world robots like intelligent vehicles, assistive robots and rehabilitaion robots, that operate in human populated enviroments.
My current research focus is on:
- Introducing wireless spectral efficiency constraints within networked mobile service robot navigation,
- Generating appropriate HRI behaviors within social robots (eg. intelligent wheelchairs), that are deployed alongside humans in structured environments like shopping malls,
- Exploring the question of how top share control among human users and assistive robots.
Keywords: Robotics, Human-Robot Interaction, Human-Robot Collaboration, Robot Vision, Assistive Robots.
Please click on the paper title to obtain the .pdf file.
- L. Devigne, M. Babel, F. Nouviale, V. K. Narayanan, F. Pasteau and P. Gallien. "Design of an immersive simulator for assisted power wheelchair driving". In IEEE/RAS-EMBS Int. Conf. on Rehabilitation Robotics (ICORR), 2017.
- V. K. Narayanan, A. Spalanzani, M. Babel. "A semi-autonomous framework for human-aware and user intention driven wheelchair mobility assistance". In IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2016.
- L. Devigne, V. K. Narayanan, F. Pasteau, M. Babel. "Low complex sensor-based shared control for power wheelchair navigation". In IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2016.
- V. K. Narayanan, A. Spalanzani, C. Luo, M. Babel. "Analysis of an adaptive strategy for equitably approaching and joining human interactions". In IEEE Int. Symp. on Robot and Human Interactive Communication (ROMAN), 2016.
- V. K. Narayanan, A. Spalanzani, F. Pasteau, M. Babel. "On equitably approaching and joining a group of interacting humans". In IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2015.
- V. K. Narayanan, F. Pasteau, M. Babel, F. Chaumette. "Visual servoing for autonomous doorway passing in a wheelchair using a single doorpost". In IEEE/RSJ IROS Workshop on Assistance and Service Robotics in a Human Environment, 2014.
- V. K. Narayanan, C. Crane. "Active Relearning for Robust On-Road Vehicle Detection and Tracking". In Int. Conf. on Control, Automation and Systems (ICCAS), 2013.
ATR Intelligent Robotics and Communication Laboratories
2-2-2 Hikaridai, Keihanna Science City
Kyoto 619-0288, Japan.
Tel : +81 774 95 2626
Fax : +81 774 95 1408